Trail Riding Etiquette
Your trail riding safety is our #1 priority.
1. Always check our website before leaving home for our listing of sections of the property that might be closed for maintenance, trail damage or inclement weather reasons. The status of the trails can be found under the section of trail status. Under the trails status you will see which trail riding zones are closed. The entire property is broken into color coded zones. If any sections of the property are closed you will see an entry like “November 10, 2019 the yellow and the pink zones will be closed .” You will find this information on our site under calendar Trail Status.
2. Any member that is a minor must be accompanied by an adult member in good standing.
3. Any guest that is a minor must be accompanied by their legal guardian and an adult member in good standing.
4. Belmead Equestrian Club in Powhatan, Virginia will be open 365 days per year except for partial or full closures for maintenance, damaged trails, or inclement weather.
5. Belmead Equestrian Club trails will be open from 30 minutes after sunrise until 30 minutes before sunset.
6. Campers and resident guest can leave/arrive the property 24 hours per day.
7. Speed limit for the entire Belmead Plantation is 15 miles per hour.
8. No alcohol on the riding trails.
9. No firearms anywhere on property at Belmead Plantation.
10. Safety helmets that meet ASTM/STI safety standards are recommended when trail riding.
11. Safety helmets that meet ASTM/STI safety standards are mandatory for minors.
12. All fires and grills must be completely exhausted before leaving the fire unattended for any amount of time.
13. Riders must keep cell phone with them at all times and record cell phone number upon each sign in.
14. Riders must have saddle tags displayed visibly on both sides of their saddle.
15. No stallions on property.
16. No animals other than horses on trails.
17. Riding is not allowed in the yard of any dwelling or manor house.
18. Riding is not allowed on hard surface road from main entrance all the way to the manor house.
19. No smoking on trails.
20. No littering anywhere on property.
21. If your horse kicks please identify this with a red ribbon on its tail.
22. When approaching other horses always be respectful.
23. Always clean up manure per the posted cleanup plan.
24. Clean up after yourself in the bath-house. Leave shower and bathroom doors open. Close door to outside.
25. Members must display their membership decal.
26. No bare back riding.
27. No double horseback riding.
28. Do not ride in crop fields or grass fields. Please follow trail plans.
29. Mt Pleasants will have a sign in station and follow all of the same rules as Belmead Equestrian Club.
30. Campers will have an 11:00 pm noise curfew. All loud noise must be reduced for the quiet enjoyment of others.
31. Campers must remove sewage from property.
32. All guest and members must sign in and provide a valid cell phone number in our registration book immediately upon arrival.
33. All guests and members must sign out upon the exit from BEC.
34. All members are fully responsible for all actions of their guests.
35. Stalls must be cleaned.
36. All pets in the unloading area must be on a leash or in a kennel.
37. Any guest must be registered at least 48 hours before desired visit.
38. All riders must keep horses a minimum of 150 feet from the manor house.
39. Riders must obey all road closed signs and no horses signs.
40. Anyone riding a horse must provide proof of personal liability insurance.
41. Anyone riding a horse other than his or her own must provide proof of personal liability insurance.
42. Management of BEC reserves the right to remove any member for any reason at any time for actions including but not limited to actions detrimental to the better business practices of BEC, violent behavior or actions, inappropriate or disrespectful language, gossip or publishing of negative information weather fact or fiction about BEC or any member of BEC, destruction of property at BEC, failure to follow safety rules, failure to display saddle tags or window decals, failure to follow the sign in and out process. If a member’s membership is revoked 100% of their dues collected will be returned at the time of dismissal.
Most importantly . . . HAVE FUN!